3.13.2007

Breakfast at McDonald's...Dinner in the Hamptons

We have Uncle Marshall's car for the week, so we decided to explore on Jamison's day off yesterday. We drove up Long Island to see the various beaches and towns. It is theoretically 3 hours to the tip of Long Island. In actuality, we were still in New York City proper 2 hours into the trip...1 hour in Brooklyn, 1 hour in Queens. All of this stop-and-go traffic forced us to make a stop at McDonald's--a place we haven't visited in the 8 months we've lived here. I ordered a Sausage McMuffin at 11 o'clock, apparently at the switch from breakfast to lunch. The cashier informed me that they were out of the circular egg patties that go with my choice of sandwich. Would I like the fold-over egg thingy instead? It's been a long time since I've had fast food...where were they getting these pre-shaped eggs? So I opted for no egg. By the time I got around to ordering something for the kids, they were hand-rolling the breakfast menu to the lunch menu. Voila! So the kids and Jamison got cheeseburgers.

For dinner we stopped at what looked like a great find- the Southampton Publick House Microbrewery. It was located in a quaint wooden house near the beach. The inside revealed it to be an overpriced menu with an Applebee's atmosphere. The only affordable item was the burger...I gladly would have enjoyed another McDonald's value meal over the $9 burger at this restaurant. Next time we'll read up on the Hampton's travel books before we make a decision.

Aside from eating, we stopped at several beaches, all of which were beautiful. The kids were impressed with the "big sandbox," as Arthur called it. We underestimated how cold it was, though. We were so excited that the temps were in the 50s, so we wore light clothing. Adaline and I were shivering the whole time. We took turns using our one towel to cover our heads. The boys had a great time running from the waves. We can't wait to spend more days at the beach. Here are a few pics from the day.





This is the lighthouse on the tip of Long Island-Montauk Point.

4 comments:

Ann Louise said...

Hey!
So I went to look at the "No sleep till Brooklyn" blog and found Jaim's new blog and then found this! Yay!!! I loved the videos and getting to hear them talk, and to read what you've written!
Love,
Aunt Weez

Goes On Runs said...

bbbrrrrrrrr.......
the californian in me says you are nuts!

Laura Young said...

Laura! hey! it's. . . Laura! your twins are ADORABLE. so great to see them in these pics. glad you found our blog.. i feel so high tech and savy that we are keeping in touch this way. hey, text message me on my, um, Blackbery when you get a chance. then we'll be really 21st century. we are coming to Connecticut this summer with all the kids, and thinking of trying to come to NYC. we'd love to see you! long comment, sorry.

April said...

Laura! So glad you linked from my sight. The twins look so big! I love the view from your apartment, but I think I'd want to live in that lighthouse!!! And the picture of the bruise on the head while daddy is watching them is all to familiar here, there is always some mishap when Clay is watching the 4 kids and it's usually because he was chasing them.....go figure. We sure do miss you, it was great to see Jamison a couple weeks ago.